Tuesday, February 7, 2012

What Happened To Vegetables?

I hate diets.  I think they are pointless and ineffective.  Today, I was watching some daytime TV and I flipped past a talk show where some beauty pageant star was talking about her daily diet and her exercise routine.  Apparently she'd lost a lot of weight by buckling down and changing her eating habits and working out all the time.  Good for her, really.  My issue is with what her daily diet was. 

Her breakfast was plain oatmeal and plain egg whites.  Snacks were protein shakes or plain yogurt.  Lunch was plain tuna and lettuce.  Dinner was plain chicken and plain brown rice.  Gross.  How bland and boring.  If I had to eat that every single day, I think I'd be more concerned with suicide than obesity.
Since when did eating healthy mean eating things that taste like, well, nothing?  That's wasted calories in my eyes.  Food is such an important part of my life, I just couldn't imagine missing out on so much deliciousness.  I understand that not everyone was raised by a diabetic mother and an Italian father who, together, are the most food-obsessed people I know.  I get that not everyone actually craves salad like I do.  What I don't get is why people starve themselves to lose weight, or go on crazy "diets" where they only eat cereal or grapefruit or lizard feet.  I think we can all predict the ending to that story.  Want a hint?  It ends with you sitting on the kitchen floor in front of your fridge around 12:56am devouring a pint of Ben and Jerry's.  What ever happened to moderation?  What happened to just making smarter choices?  What happened to vegetables? 

And, just to clarify, I am in no way bashing anyone with weight concerns.  I am in no way saying that I am better than anyone because of my eating habits.  I am also not saying I have the healthiest of regimens.  I would rather eat pizza than go to the gym.  I simply just don't understand why people submit to chalky protein shakes or meal substitute bars that taste like sand.  There's probably more nutrition in the sand, to be honest. 

Love,
N

No comments:

Post a Comment