Thursday, April 19, 2012

Margaritas and Sisterhood

And, again, I missed posting.  I know you're devastated, but please try to understand that yesterday was spent trying to finish the-paper-from-hell that I was supposed to finish Monday.  Today I have another paper to write, comparing and contrasting political ideologies, and tracing the modern-day views back to the traditional ones.  Sounds super exciting, I know.  Good thing I don't mind writing papers. 

I'm trying to plow through these papers so that I can enjoy my weekend with my friends.  Finals are technically next week, so everyone will be bogged down, so this weekend is everyone's last chance to get a little crazy before summer.  Sure, we can get crazy a lot over summer but that's besides the point.  I think ever since it's started to dawn on me that big-girl-world is hurling my way, I have an intense urge to party as often as possible.  Probably immature, but I have the rest of my life for maturity, right?  And, in my defense, I'm not going back to my freshman year of college where I'm pretty sure I attended every Thursday morning class still drunk from the night before.  It's more like... grown-up-I'm-old-and-know-my-limits-and-hate-hangovers partying.  Some guy invited me to a FourLoko party at his university-affiliated apartment this weekend.  It took everything in me to keep from physically cringing at the thought of playing beer pong in an apartment with an RA down the hall and a line for the bathroom 6 hours long because a freshman is occupying it to puke.  I'll take some margaritas at the Mexican restaurant, instead, thanks. 

My friends and I all have senioritis at this point.  We're all light-hearted and giddy about graduating in May or August.  We all want to have a grand ole jolly time before the real world comes pounding on our door at 8am and we can't roll over and say "eh I'll text that fraternity boy for notes later."  If you have no clue what I'm talking about, bookmark this post and re-read it when you're about to graduate. 

I don't write about my sorority much in this blog because, day in and day out, it's easy to get bogged down in Greek life drama and petty annoyances.  My Greek experience wasn't all rainbows and butterflies.  In fact, my Recruitment week, it hurricaned for 5 days straight.  (That's not my exaggeration of a rain storm.  I'm talking hurricane Fay, all up in my freshly straightened hair.)  In part, I think the trials and tribulations are what made these past four years so worthwhile and rewarding.  My chapter has, at times, been through hell, but at the same time, we held hands through it all.  These girls encouraged me to be a stronger person, and pushed me to be the best version of myself.  I've gained a lot of character.  I've learned a lot about who I am.  I couldn't be more grateful for my chapter and my sisterhood, even if it didn't always seem like that on a daily basis.  Our standards chair and I giggled about all the trouble I got into during my final meeting where I received my alumni status.  That's what a sister is; someone who can tell you when you're being an asshat, and then turn it into a great story to tell later on.  Graduating and leaving and growing up really puts the past 4 years into perspective. 

Sisters are girls who will only look down on you to pick you up off the bar floor.  A sister is someone who signs you up for an embarrassing contest at a redneck bar, and buys you a beer to help you gain the courage to go through with it.  A sister is someone who will lay in bed with you for hours on a lazy day, watching trashy People's Court TV.  A sister is someone who knows your deepest, darkest moments, but sees the best in you, anyways.  Just like my biological sister, my sorority sisters and I have fought, yelled, screamed, shoved each other.  We've disagreed, rolled our eyes, called each other names, and fought over boys.  But just like my biological sister, my sorority sisters are always there for each other.  We hold each other up.  We rally together, supporting one another.  We each have our own strengths and weaknesses, but it's not until we are bonded together that we can share these strengths, build one another up, and work together to overcome vices.  We know that we are all part of something bigger, better, greater than just ourselves, and that the small disputes are insignificant when we think about how much we can accomplish as sisters.  And, now that all of this is coming into perspective for us, we can't wait to celebrate with each other.  Celebrate our shenanigans, our accomplishments, our promising futures... and most importantly, celebrate the fact that our days as active members may end, but our sisterhood never will, regardless of how corny and Hallmark-card-esque it all sounds. 

Love,
N

No comments:

Post a Comment