Tuesday, April 10, 2012

ABC, It's As Easy As 123

Before I dive into my exciting day of cramming for a Political Ideologies exam at 1:00, I promised you a more thrilling post today.  Which got me thinking, what can I possibly write about?  Well, there's a few things involving my sorority, but I try not to write about that topic very much, or this blog would be Greek to a lot of you.  Just take a moment to imagine 130 girls all being asked to agree on something, and you'll get a better idea of how chapter meetings go every week.  Voting on fundraisers or homecoming pairings is like the 19th amendment on crack. 

I could write about how I got scolded by a club for tweeting to them that it was difficult to plan private parties there.  They asked me to take it down, and then offered me complimentary VIP and champagne... I got what I wanted, and if it took abusing social media to get it, then that's fine with me.  The manager is a huge dickhole, anyways, and I don't play that game.  People really should know better than to test a hot-headed Italian girl. 

Instead, I think I'll write about something positive that I think a lot of you guys can relate to.  I've recently been working with a woman in my college who is the Assistant Director of Development, which means she works with my university's foundation to raise money for special programs and scholarships.  While I go to a very large public university, I'm in the honors college there, which is very small.  Everyone knows everyone, including the staff and faculty.  Last year, the honors college started a senior giving campaign to encourage about-to-be-alumni to pledge $100 over the next five years to the college.  A simple $20 a year from each student can do wonders for leadership conferences, luncheons with big-time executive speakers, sholarships to study abroad, and all the other things most of my peers don't realize come from philanthropic donations.  While I go to a public university, only about 25% of our funding comes from the government.  That leaves a lot of gaps.  I was even more surprised to find that, since my university is also relatively "up and coming," only 1% of alumni donate back to their alma mater. 

I know that a lot of us are constantly being asked to donate to some cause or another.  Some, we may have a personal connection with.  Others, we might dismiss as our money is needed more in other areas.  But every college graduate should have a respect for their education, their hard work, and the university that helped them achieve it.  After all, we chose that school.  Sure, that $20 could buy me new summer sandals or a great night out downtown, or pay my bills, my sorority dues, buy me groceries...but it could also go to help give other students the same wonderful opportunities I had that made college the best 4 years of my life. 

So, the next time you get a donation card in the mail, or someone from your university contacts you about giving back, I urge you to just consider it.  Education is what keeps our world turning, and we should all be able to say we helped push. 

Love,
N

No comments:

Post a Comment