Wednesday, November 14, 2012

A Very Virginia Weekend

So, it's already Wednesday evening, and for some reason when I have a Monday off, the workweek always seems to hit the ground running Tuesday morning and I don't fully get a grip on things until Thursday... Thus, my weekend update is coming today.

This weekend was a bundle of emotions and excitement for me.  Friday, the office was slow so I decided to work off-site from the National Archives.  They have a floating exhibit at the moment about JFK and the Cuban Missile Crisis.  Since it's been 50 years, a bunch of secret tape recordings and documents were recently declassified and showcased there.  And since my general workday includes some reference to nuclear something, I just had to go see it.  It did not disappoint.

Saturday brought about probably the most exciting new adventure I've had in a while... SHOOTING!  I'd never shot a gun before, and I got to learn the proper way to hold rifles and handguns and shoot things!  Well, by "things," I mean this target... Not too shabby, right?


I'm also now an official laminate-card-holder of the NRA Range in Virginia.  And I think I may have found my new favorite hobby...


On Sunday, in honor of Veteran's Day, I went to Arlington Cemetery for an incredibly somber and humbling experience.  It was incredibly emotional, but one of those experiences that really put my little life into perspective.

Although the setting is sad, it's an incredibly beautiful place, and the hill with Kennedy's eternal flame offers amazing views of the city.


And, finally, the official weekend was ended with some remembering and celebrating and alcohol in DuPont.  The bar was decorated in old newspaper headlines, so of course I had to pose with the ones about one of my favorite presidents: Richard Nixon.  


All in all, a well-rounded weekend.

Love,
N

No comments:

Post a Comment